Background

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Happy Birthday Leah

Happy birthday to my one and only sister. She may be younger than me but I look up to her a whole bunch. Over this past week, I have thought about her a lot, and thought about growing up together. We didn't always get along (once I got so frustrated with her over some fight over a blow dryer that I threw the blow dryer at her...Sorry!) We really did want to get along though. (We would write contracts/plans about what we were going to do and not do so that we could get along better.)

For all our differences and disagreements, I have lots of great memories of us together. I remember one Sunday after church, dressing up in all of the crazy clothes we could find and putting bananas on our head and taking pictures. Another time we were trying to entertain ourselves on the boat so we started thinking up crazy things we could do and take pictures of. Once again there was a picture involving bananas on our head. We must have thought bananas were funny. She was always a lot of fun to hang out with...dancing in the living room, singing in the car as we went somewhere. Since we were so close in age, I always had someone to go places with (which was great for me since I didn't like to go places by myself). And I also always had a buddy on vacation.

Leah was also the wise one when it came to the trials and challenges of teenage years. She was the best listener and counselor. I remember many conversations between the two of us as we sat on our beds and I told her all of my worries. She listened so well and always had the greatest words of advice and encouragement.

One of the neatest things that happened with the two of us is that she had her first child almost a year to the day before I had mine. She got to do something before me, and I got to call her for advice. It was great. Although she is younger than me in age, I think of her more as a big sister than little sister. I look up to her and admire her tons. I still appreciate her council and advice. I wish we didn't live so far apart so that we could spend lots of time together and she could teach me all she knows. She is a great gardner, canner, mom, leader, is well read, and the list goes on and on.

Happy Birthday Leah. I love you and miss you!

1 comment:

farmerette said...

You made me get all misty. Thank you and you are a great sister too. It's funny how looking back, I always remeber the good times. I think they definately out weighed the times we fought. And the blow dryer incident; if I remember correctly I was hogging both outlets with two curling irons and refusing to let you unplug one to get ready to go out. We both know how important looking good is to teenagers so I think you could say you were being provoked. Umm, I'm sorry too. Love you, Leah