The Story....I really don't like Mothers Day (and if I tried to explain, this blog would be really long and boring). Thanks to my kids, I had a wonderful Mothers Day this year.
All last week I kept teasing them by saying "Sunday is Mother's Day. Did you get me anything?" P was quick to volunteer that she was still making me something...(she actually made me several pictures and cards over the course of the week.) C let me know that she was making me something too. (More on that later.)
B, on the other hand, informed me that he didn't have anything for me and I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was a bit bothered by that. So, I explained to them that I was only teasing. Mothers Day isn't about getting your Mom something, it is about honoring your mother. I told them that the best way that they could honor me is by being good and looking for ways to help.
Getting ready for church Sunday morning had its normal ups and downs but B and C were perfect in Sacrament Meeting. (That was a wonderful Mothers Day gift right there.) Then, as we were walking out of church B informed me, with excitement in his voice, that he "Really wanted to make Lunch and Dinner." When I asked him what he was going to make for lunch he said, "Special Mac and Cheese." I was curious about the special part. He explained that it was going to be special because there was going to be a special ingredient. Now, I was a bit concerned. I didn't want to let on that I might not trust his cooking creativity but I was going to have to eat this so I wanted to make sure it wasn't too bad. He said it was something special that wouldn't change the taste.
So, he and C made lunch. It took them almost an hour but they did it all by themselves and set the table too. It really was quite nice. We had milk, "Mother's Day" Mac and Cheese, carrot sticks, and apple slices. And the special ingredient.... a bunch of red food coloring to turn the mac and cheese pink for mothers day. It turned out more coral than pink but they didn't care. I, on the other hand, had a bit of an issue with the color. I know it doesn't taste any different but the color still played tricks with my taste buds. It didn't taste bad, just not as good as it usually tastes. (Siblings....remember the time that I think it was Byron and I made butterscotch pudding and put a bunch of green food coloring in it to try and gross out Warren and Leah? It back fired. They didn't care, and I was the one that couldn't eat the pudding. It tasted gross to me all because it was green.)
After B and C spent an hour making lunch, I wasn't sure they would be up for making dinner too, but when that time came around, B insisted that he make dinner. And so, with a little help from me, they made sausage and french toast for dinner, washed up some grapes and set the table again. Wonderful!!!! They really made Mother's Day great by doing so much and doing it with wonderful attitudes.
1 comment:
Yeah, I've never been able to eat anything flavored butterscotch since that fateful day.
Post a Comment