I'm sure we all have those songs we sang as a child with our own versions of the lyrics. You know, the lyrics we thought everyone else was singing but really weren't. The one I miss sang for years (like until I was 10 or 11) was the primary song, As I Have Loved You. But that's another story.
P has been singing Up On the House Top since July. No one else has been singing it, so what she is singing is based on what she remembers from when she was 3 last Christmas.
Up on the house tops reindeer smile.
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down through the chimney with lots of toys.
All for the little ones Christmas joys.
Ho ho ho
Do na do (Don't know exactly what that is but it's what she sings.)
Ho ho ho
Do na do
Up on the house tops reindeer smile.
Down through the chimney with old friend Nicks. :-)
After enjoying her cute version for a few months, I helped her re-learn it the traditional way.
A couple of days ago she started to sing...
Here comes Santa Claus
Here comes Santa Claus
Right down Santa Claus Knee (?????)
Then she appealed to me for help. We had just been at a tree lighting ceremony a couple of days before where we had sung that song and so she was trying to remember it. I tried to tell her it was Santa Claus Lane but she insisted it was "knee". When I asked why, she said it was "like when kids slide down Santa's knee."
One day she'll get them all figured out, for now, we'll enjoy listening to her versions as she sings around the house.
2 comments:
Too funny! Trinceton's favorite was Moiese Valley Laud sung to the tune of Feliz Navidad.
I love his version. It really does fit quite well.
Post a Comment