Background

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

When buying groceries is a faith promoting experience.

As most of you may know (but some of you may not) the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encourages us to store a 3 month supply of food that is part of my families normal diet, as well as a establish a long term food supply.  (Click here if you want to read more.)  Because I know that there are blessing that come from obedience, even in temporal things, I have been working over the last several years, to obtain and maintain our family's supply.  After Hurricane Sandy, my commitment to re-supply and make sure I had everything for our 3 month supply was renewed.

After working on this the last 4 months I had just about everything gathered and organized, with a rotation system in place.  The last thing I need to do was to inventory and organize my freezer.  My freezer has been needing to be defrosted for over a month now.  Since today was grocery shopping day, I decided that I would defrost the freezer, inventory it, compare my current inventory to what I knew I needed to store, note the deficiencies and then put everything back in my freezer in a manner in which it will allow me to store everything, find everything, and rotate my supply.

With my list of deficiencies, I set off to do my weekly grocery shopping,  My largest deficiency was in meat, which I knew it would be.  I decided that I would purchase everything that was not meat, and then purchase all of the meat on my inventory that was in stock at the price I am willing to pay for it.  I was prepared for my grocery bill to be large but had decided that, what ever the cost, I was going to do this.

I was shocked when the total for my grocery bill came up on the register as $151 and some cents.  I knew that I had just witnessed a miracle.  You see, our weekly budget for groceries is $150.  (That in itself is a miracle.)  This week I bought our weekly groceries (minus about $20 of produce that I need to go pick up at Costco later this week) along with ...are you ready...

3 lbs of frozen vegetables, 8 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts, 6 lbs of hamburger, 3 lbs of sausage, 7 lbs of shredded cheese, 8 lbs of margarine, and 2 lbs of frozen fruit.

As I drove away from the store, my heart was full.  It was all I could do to hold back tears of gratitude.  I could feel the spirit witness to me that we were being blessed for our obedience.

When I think about the future of this world and our country, and how things are going, I often get scared or overwhelmed.  I told a dear friend this morning...I can not worry.  I am going to just keep doing everything that I have been taught I should be doing along with everything that I feel I should be doing, and then things will be "okay".  I don't know what "okay" is, or what "okay" looks like, but I have faith that we will be "okay".  Today's trip to the grocery store confirmed that.  Obedience brings blessings, and we are going to be okay.


2 comments:

B & E said...

Being okay is okay. The "okay" may not be everything we like, but it will be everything we need. Reminds me of our circumstances when you were born.

erin sheely said...

That is fantastic Brenda...I love that story.