Background

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another Reason I love our Token System

For those of you who don't know, we use a token system in our house. All of the things the kids are supposed to do through out the day as well as some bonus activities are written on little cards in a chart that, at the end of the day, they move to the "Did It" pocket if completed. Each responsibility has an accompanying value. The chart includes things like, brush your teeth, comb your hair, make your bed, read scriptures, recite an article of faith, clear the table, practice TaeKwonDo, work in the garden, etc., etc. At the end of the day I count the tokens earned by each child, award them their tokens earned (little slips of paper covered in packing tape so that they are durable) and they redeem them for wii time, computer time and tv time.

We started this last summer because I got tired of telling the kids "no" when they asked if they could watch tv, etc. Now, I just say "Do you have tokens?" If they do, they can play on the computer, etc. The system is set up so that they can earn around an hour a day during the school year and up to an hour and a half during the summer. (Although during the school year they average about 35 minutes and so far this summer no one has earned more than 65 minutes.)

The system worked so well last summer that I changed the charts and kept it going during the school year, much to B's dismay. In fact, the system has worked so well that I keep telling B that when he is 16 and wants to use the car I'm going to say, "Do you have tokens?"

Anyway, back to the story...today the kids were supposed to clean up the basement. After telling them and making sure that I made eye contact with each of them so that I knew they heard me, I went upstairs. Ten minutes later I could tell by the sound that no cleaning was taking place so I asked R get after them on his way out the door to a meeting. As soon as he started to get on them, they started with the "we didn't know we were supposed to be cleaning, blah, blah, blah." Yes, I love summer but three weeks into it I am tired of all of the trips I have to make up and down the stairs because people aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. So, when I heard the discussion in the basement I grabbed a plastic bag and headed downstairs to do what my Mom used to do... clean up myself and keep the stuff until they earn it back.

The earning it back part drives me crazy though, trying to figure out what they have to do, and when they are going to do it, and then wanting to earn something back at a time when I am busy doing something else. As soon as I confiscated the toys that they had out, B and C immediately started grilling me on how they could get their stuff back. I said, "I don't know. I'll think about it and we'll discuss it later. Go upstairs and get ready for bed." And then P came to the rescue. As she walked up the stairs with me she said, "I know how they can get their toys back, Mom. They can pay tokens." Thank you P! Why didn't I think of that? So simple and so easy. I love the token system! (And how many tokens will they have to pay? The same number as the dollar value of the item.)

9 comments:

NoryB said...

It sounds like you're only about one step away from making them account for every penny earned and spent during the year in order to receive a $3/month allowance.

farmerette said...

Yaay for tokens! NoryB's comment cracked me up. I thought that was pretty bad when we were kids. Sadly, my kids have it even worse. We make them account for every penny, but since my husband is firmly against handing out an allowance, my children keep track of their penny's and spending and do "all this in exchage for the satisfaction and pride of a job well done". (name that quote)

B.Bird said...

Yes, our children also count their pennies and have to account for them but they do get an allowance. (Of course their allowance came with them becoming responsible for buying some things that we used to buy, so it really isn't an allowance but it teaches them some responsibility and book keeping skills.)
(Isn't that from Ranger Bill - Warrior of the Woodlands.)

farmerette said...

Why yes, yes it is.
Every time I read, think, or say that phrase, I have to go through the whole introduction for the radio program in my head. I think it's caused by another deprevation we suffered as children. Lack of t.v.

Anonymous said...

It's okay guys, it's simply a product of your upbringing. One day B, C, P, T, K, T, and T will all share the same stories that you guys have about your parents. Start preparing now for that one......

-Leigh

B & E said...

Aren't you all glad you had such smart parents that raised you so well that you have great ideas how to teach your kids.

W.E. said...

Raaanggggeeerrrrr Biiiiiiiiilllllll!

Anonymous said...

But then their spouses have to unteach them certain things, which can be quite the daunting task! J/K Love you guys and your systems.

-Leigh

kroberts said...

So we use quarters instead of tokens. I once made the girls pay $10 each to get back a trash bag full of toys they "made me" pick up.