(I typed this a couple of weeks ago but then forgot to post it so it is a little late.)
Remember this runner?
Here he is 2 years later.
It was a rough season for him, battling shin splints and then what we thought might be stress fractures but turned out to just be more shin splints. He only ended up competing in about half of the meets. The good news is that by the end of the season he was healthy and able to train and run hard.
We got to watch B's last track meet of the season on Wednesday (May 8th). He ran the mile and set a personal best.
He also ran the 800. His first and second 200 were right on track for his goal. As he started the 2nd lap and came past us I could tell something was wrong, he had slowed down. He got a side ache and was hurting pretty bad. The track is set up kind of strange so the start and finish is over on the far side of track. As B rounded the last corner, I saw his hands open up into blades (he always does that when he sprints). He took about three strides and then I saw his hands close back up...he had nothing left. He'll try again next year. We're proud of him anyway.
I tried to get a picture of him standing around waiting to run, but they were so far away, on the other side of the track, that I couldn't get one. So, when he was in the stands with us, drinking his gatorade, I tried to get a quick picture but got this instead.
Later I was able to sneak one of him.
2 comments:
Good going B!!!
One of the things that may be aggravating the shin splints is his stride. From the photos it looks like he is striking heavy with his heel. If he gets his weight forward so his strike occurs on his midfoot with his foot underneath his body it will really reduce the impact force. There are a lot of online resources. It can alos reduce the side-aches, because the reduced shock stops internal organs from being knocked around as much.
Post a Comment