Background

Friday, September 12, 2014

The making of an engineer

I have no idea exactly what P will choose to study when she goes off to college one day but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with science, math, or engineering.

Last Christmas I got a salad spinner.  After using it the first time I found her with it, in the kitchen, intently studying it.  She was taking it apart and studying the pieces, putting it back together and pushing the button to make it spin, then taking it apart again and studying the pieces.  She wanted to talk to me about how it worked.  You can't actually see into the mechanism that makes it spin although she wanted to.  When we couldn't get at it, she then just developed her own theories on how it worked.

Today, I found her at the sink with the top to her water bottle.  (It is a pop top cap.)  She had the cap held in place at the top of the bottle but upside down on the bottle.  She was tipping the bottle over and studying the cap.  I asked her what she was doing and she said, "figuring out how the cap works."

3 comments:

W.E. said...

My Engineering Design class is currently taking apart one time use film cameras. They cost a couple bucks each. You can hit up a thrift store for cheap things like electric beaters and fans and have her dissect those.

B.Bird said...

Thanks for the good ideas. I'll have to remember that for next summer. She would love to do something like that.

B & E said...

Edith and I would take clocks and small motors apart.