Background

Monday, September 1, 2014

The Last 4 months - Fire pit and Horse Races

I love the smell of smoke and cooking over an open fire so I have wanted a fire pit in our back yard for some time.  When B wanted to skip school on the day of West Point Graduation (it is a zoo around here and teachers had already told students that due to projected low attendance they weren't going to be doing anything that day) I told him he could skip if he helped me build a fire pit, so he did.  In anticipation of the fire pit, I had already bought a dutch oven.  Once our fire pit was complete, we put it right to use.
The inaugural dutch oven meal.... a breakfast casserole.

It was super yummy.
A couple of fun facts about designing and building the fire pit...I got to put my geometry and trig skills to use to determine the number of blocks I would need in order to achieve the desired radius.  My neighbor, upon seeing our mostly completed fire pit, asked if we had used a plan or made it up ourselves.  He and his wife had been looking at plans and he loved how ours turned out.  I told him what we bought and he showed up back at home about an hour later with a trunk full of supplies.  He took measurements off of our pit and built the same one in his back yard.  He made his 3 stones high though.  We kept ours at 2 for optimal hotdog and marshmallow roasting.  Roasting perfection requires getting the hotdog as parallel to the heat as possible so reaching down in a deep pit just wouldn't be good.

On June 8th R attended the very famous Belmont Stakes Horse Race with the W.P. band who had been invited to play.  The look on his face in this picture tells it all.  They treated the band very well and gave them great seats to watch the races.

They were able to go into the area where the horses are shown.  California Chrome before the race.
These next pictures were all taken from his seat.  This is California Chrome entering for the race.
Walking to the start.
And... they're off.

The race for the finish.
R was thrilled to have had this once in a lifetime opportunity.  It was a great day.

2 comments:

B & E said...

Love the fire pit. Good dutch oven cooking. That will be fun to use. Rone, your job is just too much fun sometimes.

W.E. said...

Love the fire pit. I'm kind of surprised they let you put one in. It's finally cooling off enough here to start using ours again.